- Again, I love the meaning... clear, bright... and again, its a play off of a more popular variation, Claire. I like its classic simplicity, and its less common form. Are we sensing a pattern here?
- I think this name is classic and beautiful. It reminds me of the girl in the Nutcracker.
- I like this name because of the story Heidi. Whenever I think of a Clara I always think of a pretty little blonde girl running barefoot through an alpine meadow. I think a Clara would grow up to be a strong, intelligent, and sexy woman.
- This name is beautiful in an old-fashioned sort of way. It's elegant in its simplicity. A Clara could be equally at home toiling in the fields, or sipping earl grey tea in a spring-rain misted Paris street café. I don't know why Clara isn't more popular! It seems like it should be the next big thing, like the formerly-dusty-and-now-hugely-popular Emma, Abigail and Hannah. However, I'm glad it's still unusual!
- Clara Phoebe: sounds very classic and dainty
Clara is the feminine form of the Roman name Clarus, which means "clear; bright; famous" in Latin. In the USA, it was most popular in the 1800s, In the 20th century, it fell out of favor and the French form Claire took its place. However, it's been undergoing something of a resurgence in popularity in the 21st century.
See Also: Claire, Clare, Clarissa
Your Favorite Names