- In my opinion, this is the greatest, most beautiful girl name of all time. It is soft and feminine, but has a bit of a punch with a “v” in it. Also, I am Hungarian and Evike is just about the cutest nickname there is. I am only sad that so many people in this country agree with me that it is really common now.
- I've always loved the name Evelyn, it's a classic that will never grow old
- I like how feminine the name is. When you say the name it comes out soft. I love that. I love the combination Evelyn Tess. I would never use Tess for a first name. It sounds to harsh to me. But when with Evelyn it softens.
- My late great grandma's name.Ive always likes it,its girly and smart, not used very often.
- Èvelyn: I remember there was a very intelligent girl called Èvelyn in my class when I was in 5th grade. So it makes me think of a clever person. I also love names starting with an E.
Evelyn was originally an English surname that comes from the first name Aveline. Aveline is a diminutive form of the Germanic name Avila, whose meaning is disputed. It possibly comes from the Germanic element avi which may mean "desired." Evelyn was used most often for boys until the 20th century, when it was taken to be a form of Eve + the popular feminine ending -lyn.
See Also: Ava, Avalene
Your Favorite Names