- It sounds fresher than Helen, and it makes me think of the My Chemical Romance song by the same name.
- I like this name because it's traditional with a bit of an exotic feel. I also love the song 'Helena' by My Chemical Romance
- he-LAINE-ah I named my daughter this because it is elegant and classic. Also, there are a few nicknames that can be used: Laney, Lena, Laina
- Pronounced Hel-AY-na - not Hella-na. Pretty,feminine name with an old-fashioned connotation. I think it would work well with a short surname, and no middle name (I'm not big on middle names anyhow).
- I like it pronounced Huh-LAIN-uh. I dislike the HELL-in-uh pronunciation. Also a less used classic. Lots of history with this name. Beautiful and Strong.
In England, this name is more usually pronounced /HELL en a/, as is the capital of the U.S. state Montana. Helena is the Latin form of Helen, which was the name of the most beautiful woman in the world in Greek mythology. Helena was the form used for the Roman emperor Constantine's mother.
See Also: Helen
Your Favorite Names