- Finally, a flower name that gets respect while still being pretty instead of "cutesy" or over-the-top. This isn't Amaryllis, but it isn't boring old Rose either. It's charming and it ages well. If you're going for an all-around good flower name, this is it.
- A regal flower. The name means messenger or rainbow. The rainbow is promise from God. I couldn't name my daughter rainbow though.
- i really like this name because it sound unique and like a flower. I first heard this name from a song.
- sounds sophisticated, feminine and exotic.
- Iris-Asherah: Iris is my mom's first name, and Asherah is a name stemming from the sacred groves, in honor of the mother goddess known as the Queen of Heaven, in ancient Cana'an and ancient Israel. Well, both names come from ancient religious traditions, and since my mom is one of my parents, and since moms are, generally, warm and caring people, and since parents are the most important folks in my life, I have combined the two names in honor to motherhood. This is a beautiful name with beautiful connotations.
In Greek mythology, Iris was the goddess of the rainbow. Her name means "rainbow." In common usage the name is usually given after the purple flower that was named after the goddess.
See Also: Irisa
Your Favorite Names