- It seems that everyone likes this name in theory and nobody likes it in practice. It has so much to it. First, it's a name from myth where it's used as the moniker of a dark siren that lures men to their deaths by her enchanting song. Second, it's a famous Marilyn Monroe character. Third, it has such awesome short form possibilities: Lore, Lila, Leila, Lora, Lola, Lori. (I believe the Gilmore Girls even used the nickname Rory.) It's time to stop crossing this one off the list and start writing it on some birth certificates.
- (pronounced Lor-el-i) This is a name that is feminine and has a nice ring to it. It is nice if you want a less common name and it sticks out. It is a very beautiful name and seems like it would draw attention if you are an attention seeker.
- Ever since I started watching Gilmore Girls, I love this name!
- It's not a name that has been overused or has a stereotype to acompany it. It's very pretty besides.
- Siren of the sea meaning says it all. Also the name of a great character in the show "Gilmore Girls".
- The name of a character in a German legend. Lorelei was a siren who lived in the Rhine river and sang so enchantingly that she lured sailors to rocky deaths on her shore.
- such a beautiful name. Both the girls on Gilmore Girls are named Lorelei, but they call the daughter Rory, which is so pretty.
- reminds me of the ocean, and it means "siren of the sea". It's beautiful, and very uncommon.
The Lorelei actually is a large rock rising out of the Rhine river between Germany and Switzerland. Its name comes from a dialectical word meaning "murmuring rock," due to the sound the water makes while it rushes around the rock.
In German folklore, there are many tales surrounding this rock, one of which is about a lovelorn woman who tosses herself into the water and becomes a siren, luring sailors to their death with her enchanting voice.
See Also: Lorelai
Your Favorite Names