- softer than Mary. Think Marie of The Aristocats.
- Marie is very common as a middle name, but I think it would be a great choice for a first name (since it is much less commonly used as such these days).
- I have read so many rants about how badly overused Marie is as a middle name, and it is very popular, but to me it has such a light, pleasant sound and works well with so many first names. And Maria is just as pretty-sounding with a more exotic touch.
- Is fresh and pleasant, under-used and over-modified. Delightfully simple, it brightens up a dull last name. (If I have a girl, this will be it!)
- This name is under-used as a first name. I just think it sounds cute and gentle for a girl and woman.
- This name holds very special meaning to me. It was my grandmother's first name. A woman who meant the world to me.
This is the French form of Mary. It is hugely popular in the USA as a middle name, but it's since fallen out of favor as a first name. In Australia, it is pronounced /MAHR ee/ (rhymes with 'sorry'), and /ma REE/ is spelled Maree to distinguish the pronunciation.
See Also: Mauree
Your Favorite Names