- Mary is great because it is so simple and it is good for a child and for an elegant adult.
- A beautiful and truly classic name to always remember amongst the "new and hip" names that are so easy to get tired of.
- Mary Elizabeth: The name I love the most, but cannot get my husband to agree with me is...Mary Elizabeth. My mother and paternal grandmother's names are Mary and both of my grandmothers middle names are Elizabeth.
- Mary Claire:This was the name of my late mother I would love nothing more then to honor her by naming my daughter after her. I also like the names, Mary because it's a not used very often these days but presents a soft and old fashion name. Claire because it goes so nicely with Mary and a single syllable.
- Mary Margaret: I like the way these two classic names come together. Besides, I love the nn Molly-Meg :)
Mary is a classic name that has been used fairly consistently in English from the 16th century on. It represents the New testament version of the Hebrew name Miriam, an ancient name with possible Egyptian roots. It may be related to the element mrh meaning "to swell," implying fullness, or fertility. It has also been hypothesized that it is linked to the Indo-European word for "mother." Many baby name books list Mary as meaning "rebellious" or "bitter," this comes from linking it to the name Mara, which means "bitter." It is probably not related to this word.
other forms of Mary
See Also: Maria, Marie
Your Favorite Names