- Ancient & approachable. This name has been used for millenia, on many different types of women. It's strength lies in that usage.
- my name, sometimes people spell it strangely, but I love having an old and powerful sounding name. everyone has heard of it, but few have it. also, someone told me that it means "bitterness" or "violent upraising" how cool is that?
- One more underused name that is such a lovely classic.
- A strong name, with solid Biblical associations as the sister of Moses and the Hebrew name Mary, Maria, etc. are derived from.
- This is one of my favourite biblical name.It has a soft sound,yet it's a strong and solid name.I don't know what makes it so special to my ears.
- Miriam Analiese: (Anna-leese)= In my family, the initials MA are commen, and this is a beautiful combination!
This is the Old Testament name from which we get the New Testament name Mary. Miriam (or Maryam) is the original Hebrew version, an ancient name with possible Egyptian roots. It may be related to the element mrh meaning "to swell," implying fullness, or fertility. It has also been hypothesized that it is linked to the Indo-European word for "mother." Many baby name books list Mary and Miriam as meaning "rebellious" or "bitter," this comes from linking it to the name Mara, which means "bitter." It is probably not related to this word.
See Also: Mirjam, Mary
Your Favorite Names